Saturday, January 23, 2010

Upcoming interview with Eugenie Scott

Is it a fallacy to attempt to derive ethical imperatives from nature? According to an anonymous commenter on my "Theorum of Evolution" post it is. I have thought long on this assertion and am not sure I agree. Where should ethical imperatives be derived if not from nature? I suppose you could argue they should be derived from contemporary civil consensus. But what is the keystone on which consensus is built if not nature? An invisible sky father? This will be the basis of at least one question I ask Eugenie Scott during her visit to Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado this Monday January 25th 2010. I have an hour with her for a one on one interview. If you have any questions you would like me to ask please let me know soon either by commenting here or e-mailing me at kristopherhite (at) gmail.com.

No comments: